The physical and social environment of the workplace, equipment used and the demands of work duties all have an impact on staff performance and their physical and psychological wellbeing. Whether a desk-bound or manual handling role, back pain and other musculoskeletal disorders are the biggest cause of sickness absence in the workplace and account for nearly a third of the total time taken off sick from work. Suffering with aches and pains during working hours decreases levels of productivity and staff motivation, as they are less likely to be able to focus on the tasks at hand. However, for small and large businesses alike, these health issues can be prevented or minimised through an occupational physiotherapy service, implementing cost-effective practices for improved employee health and wellbeing.
Physiotherapy for enhanced business
Every day, workers put pressure and strain on their bodies, which may well lead to physical injuries and the risk of litigation for companies. Equally, injuries acquired outside of the workplace may negatively impact upon staff performance or cause increased costs of sick absence if not dealt with properly. Areas which need to be considered when accounting for ill health in the workplace include:
- Manual handling: may cause injury such as low back pain or injury to the arms, hands, or fingers. Tasks may also involve a higher risk of slips, trips, and falls.
- Workstation layout: whether there is sufficient space under the work surface for comfortable leg placement, whether the work surface height is appropriate for the tasks and whether the chair is properly adjusted to fit the person and workstation are all important considerations. An unsuitable layout could cause back pain or other postural problems.
- Managing the working day: a poor scheduling of shifts or excessive overtime can place staff under too much pressure to balance shifts with domestic responsibilities. These problems may lead to tiredness or exhaustion, increasing the likelihood of accidents and ill health.
It’s essential that organisations plan for and take measures to alleviate these potential issues because, as the business as a whole needs to be resilient in the workplace to achieve success, the physical health of staff is key. Research shows that the average cost of an employee being absent from work can commonly cost between £100 and £350 per day and it can sometimes be three months before an employee with an injury receives treatment. Physiotherapy not only improves business efficiency, it allows businesses to take positive steps to reduce the high costs of ill health.
How does it work?
At Resolve Physio we offer businesses clinically proven approaches to treating and preventing workplace injuries in-house. Adopting physiotherapy services for the workplace enables businesses of any size to put their major asset – their staff – first, taking account of their capabilities and limitations in relation to their working environment. We recognise that working environments vary greatly and therefore tailor our approach accordingly, helping companies maintain their strong working efforts whilst reducing absence rates and injury:
- Investing in a cost-effective physiotherapy service can help employers to treat specific injuries. Some schemes have demonstrated returns of up to £40.00 for every £1.00 invested in terms of reduced absence rates
- Your business will benefit from an improved staff retention
- Physiotherapy practices can prevent people from having time off work in the first place as problems can be detected and treated at an early stage
- An in-house service improves communication between staff and HR and Health and Safety managers, as it opens up a more collaborative environment where issues can be addressed in a practical way
- Professional physiotherapists for the workplace can get people back to work and to normal duties as quickly as possible. They can also facilitate a managed return to work, if alternative or modified duties are required
Having this measure in place will assure that your business can return injured individuals to work as quickly and effectively as possible for a healthy, productive workforce. If you are in Birmingham and areas in and around Sutton Coldfield, and would like to find out more or discuss your requirements, please contact Resolve Physio on 0121 293 0237 to book an appointment.